Didn't quite get to what I wanted to yesterday
What happened yesterday
So, I ran into an issue yesterday where installing the theme as per the docs didn’t result in the theme changing on the site, either locally or publically.
- Installing the Minimal theme on local (after downloading the relevant gems)
- Pushing to Github and seeing if it updated there
- Installing the Minima theme
- Changing the theme on Github with the Jekyll Theme Chooser
None of them worked
What we’ll do today
Today I’ll look into the documentation on Jekyll here
I’ll also try to reason out how the theme might be being applied (clearly it has its own CSS, so could the CSS I set up originally be interfering with it? I tried removing the CSS in the <head> of the index.html on my Home page, but that only stripped any styling)
I’ll also Google!
If none of that works I’ll just ask my roommate. Easy peasy
- Huzzah! I figured it out. In these docs I saw that Jekyll will look “to your site’s content before looking to the theme’s defaults for any requested file in the following folders”: /assets, /_layouts, /_includes, and /_sass. Because I had stuff in /_layouts, it was looking to those as the default. I would think that they would include that in there…
- I had some merge conflicts from changing the site theme with the Jekyll Theme Choose yesterday that I ended up kind of forcing through, and now we have another error where “alexanderdou.com redirected you too many times”. Always another struggle.
- So, I did what the docs called “converting gem-based themes to regular themes” and copied all of the theme layouts and assets over to my blog files. I think we’re all good here: we should be rolling smoothly on Minimal from now on. Now we’ll see what happens if I want to try moving to hyde
- As for the DNS issue… it appears to have resolved itself. Damn it. I mean, I’m glad, but still it’s frustrating